Monday, March 7, 2022

Introduction Post

I spent most of the late 60's and early 70's at the University of Houston's school of Economics. It was a life changing time for this dumb old West Texas farm boy, one that I still live. I went from a Goldwater Republican to somewhere left of Bernie. In the process I was introduced to weed, reintroduced to my family's progressive roots and became, at least to my mind, a much better person. I expect I'm one of the few old hippies that still keeps the faith. 

With Reagan and the war on drugs, drug testing was established for many occupations such as flying for hire. That ended my use of marijuana, not a big deal, beer and whisky work almost as well but without the health benefits. With booze, as long as you stopped drinking eight or so hours before the next flight you could pass any of the drug tests. You might be "hung over" and suffering the after effects but you were "legal". Pissing in a bottle became part of the pilots life but every time I did it I felt violated, and was. My last year at Flight Safety I was "random" tested four times.

One of the first things I did after retirement was smoke a joint. Damn it felt good just to know it was legal and no one could require me to piss in a bottle. 

Marijuana is now legal in most of the Western United States. I'm not familiar with all the rules but here in Arizona I can have six mature plants plus six more for MsBubba. Last year I grew 4 plants and I have had flower, tenures, and gummies from that "grow" for the whole year. This year I'm growing seven plants, six I started before we went to Houston one did not live, three more were started once we were back, two germinated . Of those started, the current seven are growing, forgive me :-), like weeds.

 


 

A couple of things about Marijuana, it is almost as enjoyable to grow as it is to use. The other is it's health benefits. I've had a couple of dislocated bones in my right foot for close to three years that make it painful to walk and causes me to limp which leads to other problems. To fix the bones requires surgery and no weight on the foot for three months, the surgery can be done, the no weight for three month is a deal killer. Since retirement and use of gummies I can walk without limping or pain in my right foot.  When I lace up my hiking boots I invariably think of Peter Sellers' last scene in "Dr. Strangelove". 

See you on down the road,

ken   



 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ken

    I have actually been searching for this blog post as it had vanished from the ImaOKguy blog.
    Happy growing, and if you ever find yourself in need of some horse manure for fertilizer, we have plenty of it :-)

    Brgds
    Jonas (mulesaw)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jonas,

      Yeah, I decided to move all the Cannabis stuff to its own blog. I figure not all woodworkers are into weed and no need to offend.

      Thanks for the horse manure offer, if only I was closer :-). BTW, I have a sack of commercial horse manure under my potting bench I mix with the re-used soil.

      ken

      Delete
    2. Probably a good idea to move the weed posts. Like you say, there's no need to offend anyone.
      Some years ago my older brother and his wife asked if we could bring a sack of horse manure when we came for a visit. Now that wasn't a problem at all, and we just took some of the oldest stuff that is completely composted (or whatever it is called). So it just smells like mushroom growth media.
      I thought it was a great story to tell people that we gave my sister in law a "sack of shit" as hostess present, but somehow Mette never really liked that phrase..
      It is funny, but to my knowledge it is still illegal to grow cannabis in Denmark. So those that do keep really quiet about it.

      Brgds
      Jonas

      Delete

A Rare Treat

 I was at my work bench when I noticed a Gila Monster slowly walk into the shop and settle down behind the bandsaw: The bad news is there is...