Sunday, November 20, 2022

Smooth Planes

 Sometimes you just have to make a shaving:


My two favorite smooth planes are a double iron Steve Voight and a single iron Philly Plane. The Voight plane is on the wood and the Philly plane is sitting on the bench. 

I don't know if you can see how the Voight plane shoots the shaving straight out. With most planes it is hard to get everything adjusted so it does that, with a Voight plane it happens with little effort.

The Philly plane is wonderful, small, light weight and is just an extension of your arm and hand. Both the Voight and Philly planes are a joy to use.

In a couple of weeks or so I may have the shop in useable shape, that's my plan, I hope I can stick to it. There are a couple of small projects I want to do before we head to Oregon the end of May.

BTW, a early #3 Stanley is almost as nice to use and costs a hell of a lot less and for most day to day work just as good. 

1 comment:

  1. Agreed. While I love the feel of a wooden plane, a No 3 will do and for a lot cheaper. So Obviously one, need both :-)

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Source Turbo Takeback

 I take back what I posted yesterday about Source Turbo. They stepped up to the plate and new base unit is on its way. I'll ship the def...