Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Supercharging Your Infusion

 I expect like most folks, I do not use Top Shelf flower to make infusions and tinctures. Cannabis edibles are kinda like hotdogs, they taste pretty good and do the job but what goes in 'em is not pretty. It's mostly popcorn buds, leaf, some stems and a occasional nice bud. The THC starts to get pretty thin by the time you get down to "trim". That's the bad part, the good is THC is THC and if you can get to a decent mg/ml ratio your infusion/tincture will work. This is where the Ardent FX earns its keep. With the FX it is very easy to run multiple infusions using the same oil piggybacking each step to increase the THC mg/ml ratio with each step.

An example from today. I needed a 1/2 cup of oil to make Brownies. Once made the pan will yield 16 servings and I would like each serving to have 100mg of THC (just because I called it a serving doesn't mean you have to eat the whole thing at one sitting). To get there I would need the THC ratio to be close to 14mg/ml.* 

I started with 16g of Nova OG trim in a little over ½ cup of MCT oil. The first infusion cycle gave me 1/2cup of 3.9mg/ml of Canna Oil. A long way from the target of 14mg/ml.

The second cycle I stuck with the Nova OG trim using 15g in the first cycle Canna Oil plus ~15ml (1 Tbs) of fresh MCT to replace the lost oil. The second cycle raised the THC/ml ratio to 4.3 mg/ml. Not a lot of help but still better.

I was out of trim from the first harvest so I pulled out some Jack Herer left over from last year's crop. Used 15g of pretty good bud plus added 15ml of MCT oil to the 4.3 mg/ml Canna Oil from the second cycle.

This time I hit close enough to the target of 14 mg/ml (13.8mg/ml) to call it good enough.

Let me show you what happens when you have your head stuck up your ass and do that most male thing of male things...Read the damn directions. I started the crop using a very good Nutrient program but it was complex with many different bottles and doses to keep up with. I decided to change to a simpler system by Ventana Plant Science. First mistake, don't change horses midstream. Second mistake skimming the directions. The old nutrient program (and most nutrient programs I've used) use tsp/gal of water. Ventana uses ml/gal. There are 5ml in each tsp. It was a damn good try at killing my harvest. I say again: Read the damn directions, don't skim.



Take care,

ken

*1/2cup ~118ml X 14mg/ml = 1652mg/16 pieces = 103.25mg/piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Rare Treat

 I was at my work bench when I noticed a Gila Monster slowly walk into the shop and settle down behind the bandsaw: The bad news is there is...