Sunday, February 26, 2023

Arkansas Stones

 I started working wood using Arkansas stones and I will admit to round heals when it comes to sharpening steel, I have tried almost every system and type of stone although I can still find folks using stones I've never heard of. My love of Arkansas stones could be the "first love" effect, it's like you think the first jet you flew is the best airplane ever build. Of course I know there is no better "pilot airplane" than a LearJet 25D.

Today was a cold and rainy day here in the Old Pueblo so there wasn't much I wanted to do other than maybe sit in the shop and love on my tools. I noticed a couple of the 'beater' chisels needed sharpening and I hadn't pulled the Shaptons out for some time. Six stones out of the cabinet, change the stone holder to the one for waterstones and get to work. It didn't take long to remember why the Shaptons were in the cabinet instead of on the bench. Damn they are messy and need too much monkey motion but they do put a shine on your steel. In spite of the shine back in the cabinet until the next time.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Rare Treat

 I was at my work bench when I noticed a Gila Monster slowly walk into the shop and settle down behind the bandsaw: The bad news is there is...