Friday, March 10, 2023

FECO

 FECO is Full Extraction Cannabis Oil. It is fast becoming my favorite way to consume Cannabis. Easy to make, stores well (over a year in a cool dark place) and is just what the name implies, a full extraction of the active cannabinoids.

It is a several step process, none are difficult but can take some time. First step is the same as required for most Cannabis edibles, your weed needs to be Decarbed. I'm lazy and use a Ardent FX to decarb dried flower. Once decarbed, cover the decarbed flower with 190 proof Alcohol and let it set at least 24 hours while given the Alcohol/flower mix an occasional shake. The 24 hours is a minimum, the longer it sits the more cannabinoids are extracted. Once you feel the weed and Alcohol have set long enough and most of the cannabinoids have been extracted the flower and Alcohol need to be seperated, I use a "French Press". Coffee filters also work well.

The next step is evaporating the Alcohol leaving only Cannabis oil. This is the only critical step, if using heat to speed the evaporation you can easily burn off the active cannabinoids. A Crockpot on low heat is generally safe and reasonably quick. The safest is to just cover the container with cheesecloth or similar and let it sit in a cool dark place, the only problem is if you are in a hurry it can take a week or more to evaporate all the Alcohol.

With the Ardent FX in the background a jar of FECO with covering:


   After the Alcohol has been evaporated and just FECO left:


FECO storage and ready to use:


FECO can be very strong and as with all oral Cannabis will take 30 minutes to an hour or more for the full effect. Start slow with a couple or three drops under the tongue and see what the full effect is before adding more. It is easy to overdose, not a big problem but can make you uncomfortable for a couple or three hours if you do. I do not know if it is true but I understand that a couple of drops of CBD oil will take away the effects of a Cannabis overdose.


4 comments:

  1. I believe the CBD will will help for sure if overdone, it is an important part of the `mix` to balance the effect. Nowadays, plants have been manipulated to give max THC at the expense of little if any CBD. The main reason why some people have adverse effects on high THC.

    Still building my grow corner awaiting yet one more shipment. Really like AC Infinity products, very well made and reasonably priced.
    Also building Hydroculture systems to experiments.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      I'm looking for landrace and old 60's and 70's cultivars to grow. It could be because I'm old and old memories are sweeter but the "high" from the newer cultivars are not as enjoyable. They just seem to kick your ass without the playful effect I remember from the old Sativia's like Acapulco Gold.

      I've mostly AC Infinity equipment in my tents, it is good stuff at a reasonable price point. Good luck on the Hydroculture, dirt has enough surprises to keep me entertained.

      Finished the Spoon Mule, works a treat.
      ken

      Delete
  2. Doing a bunch of experiments with various systems and methods of growing anything. Greenhouses can extend our growing season up north, but not very efficient to heat. So I want to grow indoor year long.
    Another big quest in my experiments is to automate as much as I can, so we are not tied to greenhouse venting/closing or watering plants, so we can have more freedom. This was one big factor with going with AC Infinity, their 69 controller. Setting up a grow tent corner in basement to experiment with it. Plan to use another controller 69 to automate venting greenhouse. Talking of greenhouses, my plans to rebuild the older one hit by a tree, has changed. Instead want to demolish and build a Solar passive one. And to prevent issues with power failures, will put the whole greenhouses on solar power. Oh and some woodworking projects in between :-)

    Bob, with an ever expanding to do list

    ReplyDelete
  3. Add some shellac flakes to the flower/alcohol mixture.
    In the afternoon you can finish a dining table and in the evening get the bejeezus stoned out of you.

    I think that's was how Carl's new grass seed went in Caddyshack. Just kidding though - the shellac will make your teeth yellow.

    Having overdosed a couple of times, "uncomfortable" is an interesting description. To the uninitiated, it's like drinking a pint of bourbon but the barfing doesn't cleanse your system. OD #2 was a milder one so I was zonked for a couple of hours waiting for the effects to subside. The cause of that one was innocent. I had a tincture bottle where the dropper wouldn't fill anymore. Assuming a couple of drops were left I tipped the bottle back and got many drops. While I plotted my next move I had the oil in my mouth, being absorbed. I spit it out in time but it was a heavy dose. Headphones never sounded so good while it lasted...

    Just catching up on your blog after a while.

    ReplyDelete

A Rare Treat

 I was at my work bench when I noticed a Gila Monster slowly walk into the shop and settle down behind the bandsaw: The bad news is there is...