Friday, April 14, 2023

Brain Fart City

See the face mark, that should tell me the piece faces out and should have a mortise to house the crisscross.  The backer board is where it should be but there ain't no mortise. 

In fact that mortise should be ⅞" wide, 14 ¼" long and 1 9/16" deep. Maybe we can find it on the other side because I know I chopped a big mortise in a hunk of White Oak. BTW, what a fun way to spend a couple of hours.

There it is:

I found the mortise, shame I'm not left handed because that backer board would work a treat at the other end of the bench.

I discovered the problem when I went to make the matching mortise in the chop. 

I lucked out and found a 8/4 Poplar board wide enough and long enough to face glue another backer board and I can tell myself at least I'll be chopping that 14 ¼" long, ⅞" wide, 1 9/16" deep mortise in Poplar instead of White Oak. 

The bad part, other than wasting a nice hunk of wood, I would be finished with the vise install today instead of needing at least another day or maybe two.

ken

1 comment:

  1. Oupsie. Well we often say, woodworking is all about recovering from our mistakes 😎.

    Bob, coming up for a breather from yard works

    ReplyDelete

A Rare Treat

 I was at my work bench when I noticed a Gila Monster slowly walk into the shop and settle down behind the bandsaw: The bad news is there is...