Wednesday, March 6, 2024

DWC v. Coco Coir

 I'm growing one GG4 Auto in Coco Coir alongside the six I have growing in a DWC setup. The first observation is the Coco Coir grow is much less work than a DWC grow. With Coco Coir you stick a finger in the pot first thing in AM and if it is damp leave it alone, if not, add a gal of pHed water with neuts if needed. Expect to repeat the dry finger work in a couple or three days.

DWC with disconnected pots like my setup is another story, everyday each pot needs checking for pH and EC plus water level. Everyday each will need adjustment. My new RDWC system will go a long way to leveling the workload v. Coco because it has a central 5 gal. "feed" pot so only one check and adjustment each day. Once this crop is harvested and I have access to the tent I'll set up the new system for show and tell. On to the real reason for this post:

I have two plants (GG4 Auto) born on the same day, one in a DWC pot the other in a 5 gal fabric pot with Coco Coir. Both are being feed Ventura neuts per Ventura's suggested feeding schedule.

The Coco plant has been a pleasure as described above, the DWC a PITA but as you can see from the photos it could be worth the trouble. Both plants are a couple of weeks or so from harvest, both starting to show some leaf changes, stigmas are turning brown, Trichomes mostly cloudy with a few hidden brown ones. Close but no cigar for another week or so.

The Coco Coir plant:


 The DWC plant:


As always, click 'em to big 'em.

As you can see from the photos the DWC plant is a good 6" taller. The Coco plant's Cola is thicker but from watching the other DWC plants mature I expect its Cola will thicken as it gets closer to harvest. You can see the Cola of a DWC plant that is about a week ahead of the one in the photo in the background of the top photo as an example. The tell will be the weight of smoking buds once the two plants are harvested. I'm going to guess just from looking as they grow the DWC plant will have about a 20% to 25% advantage.


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Rare Treat

 I was at my work bench when I noticed a Gila Monster slowly walk into the shop and settle down behind the bandsaw: The bad news is there is...